From:
Ronald Labonte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 1997 14:35:17 -0500
I certainly couldn't volunteer for a research project in London, being based
in Kingston, Canada!  However, you might want to contact Jean Spray at the
Health Education Authority in London.  I recently did a seminar with the HEA
on different research/evaluation methodologies for community health/health
promotion work, and left her with a manual that describes a method that uses
stories (case narratives) to generate new knowledge and/or assist in
evaluating projects.  It may fit with part of what you are planning to do.
The actual manual is called "Handbook on Using Stories for Health Promotion
Knowledge Development."  If she doesn't have a copy, let me know by personal
e-mail, and I can arrange for a copy from Canada to be sent to you.

>MIND in Camden is a local independent mental health charity affiliated to
>Mind (National Association for Mental Health) and is responsible for its own
>funding arrangements.  We are a membership organisation and provide over 20
>different services and activities for people living or working in the London
>Borough of Camden.  These individuals are primarily experiencing but, can
>also be involved or connected with, mental health problems and circumstances
>of mental distress.
>
>1997 marks the 30th Anniversary of MIND in Camden and to celebrate this we
>would like research to be undertaken with a view to publishing the completed
>work.  The purpose of the research is to evaluate the development of the
>social care market in the London Borough of Camden during the past 30 years
>with specific reference to mental health and MIND in Camden's involvement as
>a major voluntary care provider in the borough.  Essentially the study
>should seek to establish:-
>
>a)      the legal, political and social framework that have governed and
>influenced decisions about mental             health care development in the
>borough;
>
>b)      possible causes of and rises and falls in mental illness within the
>Borough;
>
>c)      the future of mental health care and service provision for voluntary
>organisations and, in particular,         MIND in Camden.
>
>Ideally, we are currently looking for a volunteer, with an interest in
>mental health, who may be willing to carry out this research on our behalf.
>If you are interested or, know of an individual who may be interested, in
>conducting this research we would really like to hear from you.  A full
>research brief is available and can be sent on request.
>
>Thank you for taking the time to read this, Happy New Year and, hopefully
>hear from some of you soon.
>
>Gill Davis
>Funding Officer for MIND in Camden to whom donations can always be sent and
>will be used towards providing a variety of services and activities for
>people with mental health problems.
>Barnes House, 9-15 Camden Road, London NW1 9LQ
>e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>Internet:  http://web.ukonline.co.uk/Members/mind.incamden/main.htm
>Tel:    0171 911 0456
>Fax:    0171 911 0825
>Registered charity No.: 292180 - Celebrating 30 years of mental health

Ronald Labonte
Communitas Consulting
29 Jorene Drive
Kingston, Ontario, Canada  K7M 3X5