From:
Hersh Sehdev <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:59:03 -0500
Hi
I am new to this e-network of health promoters, just signed up last week and
am really glad that I did so. After having worked in Toronto, Kingston can
get at times isolating.
I agree with Roxanne that this network can serve us well in working together
and informing each other of the multi-prong approaches we need to take on
any issue. Working in a community health centre makes it easier to work with
different disciplines in developing strategies to work at different levels
of individual, family and neighborhoods. We are just initiating a dialogue
with three schools in our catchment area to address health  needs of school
aged children. As we are seeing in other area, physical inactivity and child
hood obesity are visible health problems in our community.
We are being very careful to not to go out and address it as a lifestyle
issue. Our community has over 30% children living in poverty so the
a national strategy on social determinants would have been useful however
meanwhile we continue to work bottom up and see where we reach. If any one
has any suggestions please do connect, mean while I will continue to post
any significant developments.

Hersh Sehdev
Executive Director
North Kingston Community Health Centre