From:
Joe Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 15:31:35 -0500
The field of health promotion requires an "inclusive' model that does not
divide us into camps that has us using our clients for our own self-serving
purposes. Povery has been and will continue to be one of the
major "determinants" of health, education, wars, and other major developments
in the world. This is not new, we have known this since the "scientific"
and "economic" revolutions were set into motion. However, today as I write
this, there are people who are dying on the streets and there are children who
go to bed at night hungry. Are we prepared to deny the homeless beds to sleep
in and children opportunites to eat nutritious meals at school till we
eliminate poverty from our world! Not so I hope. We need micro, meso and macro
strategies operating in tandem, in an inclusive model! We need human service
models that unite us not divide us!
Joe
Dr. Joseph Levy
Professor
School of Health Policy and Management
Atkinson Faculty of Liberal and Professional Studies
and Director, Wellness Centre at York University
274 Vanier College, 4700 Keele Street
Toronto, Ontario M3J 1P3
Phone: 416-736-2100 ext, 33898
Fax: 416-736-5899