Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 20:24:40 -0500
Have you ever considered the impact of lack of oral care.  I know that you
wanted policies that are outside the health realm but the mouth has not been
conncected to the body.  That is a policy itself that has long-term
implications.  Neglected oral health of mothers has been shown to lead to
low birthweight and/or preterm babies; poor oral health leads to  poor diet,
exacerbates the impact from diabetes and the requirement for insulin,
reduced socialization, CVA, negative increased cholesterol, osteoporosis,
lowered self-esteem, loss of work-time, etc.
  The US Surgeon General's report on oral health 2000 has a wealth of
information that can be related to the Canadian experience.
There are a number of issues that impact on the ability of the public to
access preventive oral care that I would be happy to share with you.
Pat Spencer RDH