From:
"Cantin, Lyne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 09:47:32 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Elspeth Ross [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: May 07, 2003 5:16 PM
Subject: Correct email address for copies of alcohol petition

Sorry, there was an error in the contact information for Judy
Wasylycia-Leis.
Please contact her to obtain copies of the petition on alcohol warning
labels.
The correct email address is: [log in to unmask]
or phone 204 984-1767 or 613 996-6417, fax 613 996-9713

May 2, 2003
It's time to sign again the petition on Alcohol Warning Labels!
Contact Judy Wasylycia-Leis, MP for Winnipeg North Centre at
[log in to unmask] or 204 984-1767
to obtain copies of the "Petition to the House of Commons on Alcohol
Warning Labels", and also her NDP Press Release, her letter to supporters
and her letter to Hon. Anne McLellan, Minister of Health.
THE PETITION MUST BE SIGNED AND THEN RETURNED BY MAIL (NO POSTAGE NEEDED)

On April 23 Judy Wasylycia-Leis responded to two years of government
inaction on alcohol warning labels by launching a nationwide petition
campaign calling for government action on labelling.
On April 23, 2001, Parliament voted overwhelmingly - 217 to 11 - in favour
of Wasylycia-Leis' Private Members Motion to require labels on alcoholic
beverages warning against drinking while pregnant. The federal government
is still not committed to the use of warning labels.

Judy Wasylycia-Leis wrote:
"I believe FAS/FAE activists and organizations agree that the benefits of
increasing public awareness and prevention through labelling are well worth
pursuing. With that is mind I have launched a 'Safe Pregnancy, Healthy
Child Alcohol Labelling Campaign'. The purpose of the campaign is to renew
public pressure on the federal government to act on labelling.
"As a first step, I am encouraging supporters to distribute and collect
signatures for the ...petition. A strong showing will remind the government
of the continued widespread support for warning labels and our
determination that this measure to help prevent FAS/FAE not be ignored.
"I am requesting that you circulate the petition widely and encourage
participation in collecting signatures. I am also hoping that you will use
the petition as a tool for raising public FAS/FAE awareness both one-to-one
with the public and as a complement to your other activities."

 From the media:
www.canada.com
Canadian Press

MP pushes for warning labels on booze

Thursday, April 24, 2003

New Democrat MP Judy Wasylycia-Leis has launched a national petition urging
Ottawa to put warning labels about fetal alcohol syndrome on all liquor
bottles.

In April 2001, MPs of every political stripe voted in favour of her private
member's bill, but the Liberal government has yet to take any action.

Alcohol consumption during pregnancy is the leading cause of birth defects
in Canada.

And three of every 1,000 children born in Canada exhibit some form of fetal
alcohol syndrome.

Symptoms include growth deficiencies, central nervous system damage,
developmental delays, skull and brain malformation, facial abnormalities
and learning disabilities.

Labelling booze was recommended in a 1992 Health Committee report and has
been compulsory in the United States since 1989.