From:
Susan MacMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 1997 16:18:42 -0700
Debbie and Sam

I second the sentiment regarding this document.  It reflects many of the
attitudes faced when discussing the internet, its value, and access to it.
I would, however, add a couple of comments.

1.  My response to the paragraph that started this discussion was that the
internet is much more accessible than the author assumed.  There are many
libraries that provide connections for free, or the price of a library card,
there are internet cafes that provide access at low cost that allows users
to visit without investing in computers.  The computer issue will also soon
be less of an issue in Canada when televisions become the modem.

2.  I feel the issue is more of attitude, as expressed by Sam, than complete
resistance.  I see these as somewhat distinct; the attitude surrounding
internet access is that it is a form of recreation and/or something for
younger people whereas resistance, at least to me, is complete resistance to
anything electronic, those things that require people to learn new things,
or those things that are getting a lot of media coverage.

The key to changing attitudes is to present people with information found on
the internet that would take much longer for them to access or would be
unavailable in other forms.  Conversely, examples presented by Sam about how
to make a person's information available to others is important.  The
challenge here is to make this case to people who do not yet value it as an
information source.  This becomes a cyclical approach.  Of course, we must
also recognize that there are limitations to the amount of information
available in some instances.

Complete resistance is a little more difficult to address until it becomes a
way of doing business or until those people retire and realize that most
senior's centres offer internet courses.  In some cases this has been
resolved by a governing body sharing valued information only via internet
thus forcing anyone who wishes to be part of the future to have access.

This is quite an adventure and one that I am enjoying and I thank you all
for being as enthusiastic as I am.

I welcome other thoughts on strategies for increasing positive attitudes
toward internet usage as a way of doing business.

Susan