From:
Dennis Raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 11:57:05 -0500
>Date:  Thu, 09 Dec 1999 09:18:38 -0600
>From:  Lorraine Khachatourians <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FW: VCR Alert: Tonight on the Fifth Estate -- "Butting In" -
Tonight!
>To:    'hplink' <[log in to unmask]>
>
>From:  Greaves, Lynn RHD[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
>Subject:       VCR Alert: Tonight on the Fifth Estate -- "Butting In" - Tonight!
>
>Tonight on the Fifth Estate -"Butting In" -  Wed, December 8
>at 8pm and re-broadcast Thursday at 10 pm and Friday at 3am on CBC
>Newsworld.
>-------------
>The new movie, The Insider, has been heavily promoted, and critically
>acclaimed. It's based on a true story. The film stars Al Pacino, Christopher
>Plummer and Russell Crowe. It's a story originally told, for the first time
>on television. It all began when two of America's biggest journalistic
>stars--Mike Wallace of CBS's 60 Minutes and Diane Sawyer of ABC--appeared on
>air to announce that their networks were backing away from honorable fights.
>Both networks had prepared critical stories, but weren't going to run them.
>Both were about Big Tobacco. And both stories were being killed because of
>pressure from the networks' parent companies, worried about the effect of
>possible lawsuits on their corporate plans. By forcing their programs to
>back away from fights they very might well have won, network executives sent
>shockwaves through television journalism. Tonight, the story behind the
>movie: Butting In.
>http://www.tv.cbc.ca/fifth/thisweek.shtml
><http://www.tv.cbc.ca/fifth/thisweek.shtml>
>
>This information is forwarded to the Tobacco Free Saskatchewan Network from:
>Stan Shatenstein
>Editor - Tobacco News Online
>5492-B Trans Island
>Montréal, Québec, Canada  H3W 3A8
>Tel:      (1) 514-486-1243
>Fax:     (1) 514-486-6894
>E-mail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Visit our Web Site for information about our Seniors Participatory and
Community Quality of Life Projects!  Free Reports Also.

  http://www.utoronto.ca/qol      http://www.utoronto.ca/seniors

  Long have I looked for the truth about the life of people together.
  That life is crisscrossed, tangled, and difficult to understand.
  I have worked hard to understand it and when I had done so
  I told the truth as I found it.

  - Bertolt Brecht

Dennis Raphael, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Associate Director,
Masters of Health Science Program in Health Promotion
Department of Public Health Sciences
Graduate Department of Community Health
University of Toronto
McMurrich Building, Room 101