From:
Sherrie Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 09:41:15 -0500
Thank you for your response Peter,

Firstly, what are you doing in these food programs outside of relief
efforts?  Teaching?  Teaching about nutrition?  Is that not saying that
poor people's problems with affording food is a matter of choice?  And then
after a poor person goes through your program there is no problem?

If all you are in the end doing is relief then is the HP system the best
delivery system? It is very expensive to have some of the professionals who
work on these programs run the food relief system.

And anyway I would say with much confidence that your food relief system is
only reaching less then 5% of the people who need food.

I think you miss the point of the original piece poor people are too busy
with today to worry about tomorrow, are your programs saying here is some
food and by the way it is important to eat well so you stay healthy?

So, in my mind you are talking two things a food relief system and a food
teaching system (and maybe a third healthy lifestyles).

As someone who has faced poverty and hunger my final question in response
to your posting is what is it that you want to do to me after you 'reach'
me?

I would be interested in your sharing your suggestions to the Paul Martin
on 'child poverty' with me off-list.

mailto:[log in to unmask]

Thanks again, I think this is important to discuss,

----------
From:   Peter Elson[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

        RE: AJPH article:

To clarify my point, I didn't intend to indicate that food security
programs are an acceptable "answer", but working toward providing people
with adequate incomes to address their needs tomorrow and providing the
support they need today are not mutually exclusive activities. My reference
to food security programs was used because the research article reflected
an obvious cultural divide between the described health promotion practices
and the day-to-day reality of the people in St-Henri. Food security
programs reach these people and through such programs a clearer, more
meaningful and more compassionate health promotion strategy could evolve.
 At least, that's our experience and objective at OPHA.  Meanwhile, we've
also written Paul Martin and made our views on child poverty abundently
clear.

Peter Elson