From:
Sutherland Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:42:43 +1000
I very much appreciate the direction that Dennis Raphael is taking in
demanding a greater public awareness and debate of inequity issues in
Canada.  Such discussion appeared almost forgotten here except in the
context of the big cities (Melbourne and Sydney) versus the rest of the
country in terms of jobs and quality of life.  Thankfully we see a little
glimmer of hope in this discussion.  The Australian Newspaper this week is
printing each day a raft of articles titled "Advance Australia Where".  This
explores the deeper meaning of the impact of inequity on the lives of all
people.  Go to the following site to see these articles:

Here is how one story starts:
"AUSTRALIA is a deeply divided rich-get-richer nation, in which both the
winners and losers of almost two decades of economic and social upheaval are
baffled and angry at the destruction of the fair-go society. "

http://theaustralian.com.au/

Regards

Alan

Alan Sutherland
Health Promotion Policy Officer
Strategic Analysis and Research
Strategic and Corporate Support Division
Department of Health and Human Services
PO Box 125B, Hobart
TASMANIA
AUSTRALIA       7000

Phone: (03) 6233 3147
FAX:     (03) 6233 2899
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Australian International:
011 + 61 + 3 + (eight digit call number)