From:
Sutherland Alan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:01:39 +1000
Hanu Vuori (1984, "Primary Health Care in Europe - Problems and Solutions"
Community Medicine Vol 6, pp221-231) has an approach to defining that we
have used extensively in training and planning.  He defines four different
aspects of PHC: a philosophy, a set of strategies, a level of care and a set
of activities:

*       A level of care: PHC is the part of the care system people contact
first when they have problems
*       A strategy: health care services are organized to be : accessible;
relevant to the needs of the population; functionally integrated; based on
community participation; cost effective and involves collaboration across
sectors.
*       A set of activities: health education; adequate food supply and
proper nutrition; safe water and basic sanitation; maternal and child care
and family planning; prevention and control of endemic diseases;
immunization; basic treatment of health problems, and provision of essential
drugs
*       A philosophy: PHC exists in the best way if the health care system
is characterized by: social justice and equality; self-responsibility;
international solidarity; acceptance of a broad concept of health.

This approach extends the Alma Ata and WHO definitions and more clearly
identifies the differing elements of its thinking.
One other element I have seen added by the former Australian Community
Health Association was identifying who is involved in  primary health care:
public sector health workforce, for profit health sector, not for profits
community sector, and the last "carers"  (ie family members and relatives
who do the "informal caring").  This approach helped to emphasise the
broader often overlooked relationships between these groups and give status
to family and personal caring done by non-professionals.  It is interesting
that the WHO 2000 report re-emphasises this last point in health planning.

regards

Regards

Alan

Alan Sutherland
Health Promotion Policy Officer
Strategic Analysis and Research
Strategic and Corporate Support Division
Department of Health and Human Services
PO Box 125B, Hobart
TASMANIA
AUSTRALIA       7000

Phone: (03) 6233 3147
FAX:     (03) 6233 2899
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

Australian International:
011 + 61 + 3 + (eight digit call number)