From:
Alana LaPerle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 08:41:39 -0600
While I don't agree with policies or philosophies that blame the victims of
poverty, I don't understand why it is wrong to question a "resources-only"
response to child poverty. As health promoters isn't it our responsibility
to help prevent people from falling into the river rather than simply
pulling them out (or teaching them to swim)?

Where does responsible decision-making fit? Shouldn't at least part of our
response be to provide resources (e.g., jobs, education, social support,
self-esteem) that help people make healthy choices, rather than simply
providing resources after the fact? I think it is highly patronizing to say
to poor people, "we do not expect you to make healthy choices, so we will
just be there when you need help." How is that empowering?

Alana