CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 23:33:35 -0500
This query comes from several sources. As health becomes a higher priority
of developing countries, issues of access, financing, efficiency and
effectiveness increasingly include a look at 'macro' issues such as the
division of effort as between a 'health' focus and a 'medical' focus.
Another important area has to do with government policy toward the
structure, and its role in the financing of, the overall health care system.

At that level, in Eastern Europe and in parts of Latin America for example,
there are policy debates not unlike those conducted with Canada introduced
the Canada Health Act in 1984. People are interested both in what Canada
did, and how it got to that decision (i.e., what were the debates, etc.) -
since they are having to go through similar debates to get where they are going.

Canadian colleagues. Please send responses to my private email address:
<[log in to unmask]> and I will compile what I get (if I get things) and post
either here (if small) or to a WWW/Gopher site if big)

What are the published sources of information, documentation, etc. which
will give a reader a sense of the debate and how the issues were handled in
the policy debate over the 1984 Canadian Health Act?

Remember: Send replies to <[log in to unmask]>