CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Pacific Health & Development Sciences <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:26:17 -0700
Colleagues:

I think it is relevant to note that the origins of this Code have to do with
mostly very large "international NGOs", and rightly endorsed by many of
them. Clearly the Code is important for such organizations, and they should
be inspired by it. But does it apply to all NGOs?  In all settings?

There are also vast numbers of local and national NGOs working in health in
virtually all countries, with indigenous origins arising from unmet needs
and unique circumstances. However, the communication just received does not
make this distinction. The Code itself is named "The NGO Code of Conduct for
Health Systems Strengthening". Does it therefore presume to apply equally to
indigenous NGOs, or is lack of this qualifier an oversight?

For reference on the origins of the Code see:
http://ngocodeofconduct.org/background/code-origins/

Franklin White

Pacific Health & Development Sciences Inc. (PacificSci)
P.O.Box 44125 - RPO Gorge, Victoria BC, CANADA V9A 7K1
Website: http://www.pacificsci.org  Email: [log in to unmask]