CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 1996 19:28:49 -0400
        CALL FOR VOLUNTEER LABOR FOR STUDENT PLACEMENT MATCHMAKING WEB SITE

I would once again ask Canadian subscribers to CANCHID to ponder the
following issue. We have a growing number of students who would like to do
health and development work abroad (as well as a growing potential for
'health and development' work inside Canada).
There is no organized approach beyond some campuses setting up partner-sites
abroad and sending a steady stream of their students to the same locations
(eg. Queens and Guyana).

As an example of the type of request we get I have appended a real request
below. <please reply to them and not here to CANCHID if you can help them> .
Internet technology and Web software are such now that we can mount an
on-line matchmaking service. There are several ways of doing this. The best
is to have on-line access to a database intake form and an on-line search
window.

There are some small design and policy issues to be addressed, to make the
service easy to use and to protect the privacy and security of those seeking
placements. For example, data entered on line, and searched on, could
produce a profile:

File:  00023    Dental Students (2)  AREA: East Asia  LANG: Chinese
       plus financial details, etc.

We have a web site available.

Email would go to a matchmaker address (student, faculty, or CUCHID run) to
screen both applicants and offers. As you can see, there are a few
logistical issues to settle to make this a go. For now, CANCHID seeks
someone from the CANCHID subscribers to be the virtual chair to a virtual
committee which I would like to set up to address this need.
All of the work of the committee would be done on-line and we would use a
small private listserv as the virtual workspace for that work.

Respond HERE <[log in to unmask]> if you have general comments. Respond TO ME
<[log in to unmask]> if you want to volunteer or have specific comments.

====== here is the most recent - and real - request ========================

I am currently a dental student at the University of Toronto and  two of us
are searching for a project to volunteer with this summer. My friend
suggested that I try
posting on your board.  Is this possible?  And is it possible to become a
member of your postings as I am very interested in this work in the
health field. Please let me know at:  [log in to unmask] Thank you
very much,
Sandra