CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:25:58 EDT
I am out of the office until October 7. If your request is urgent, please
contact 997-1551, and it will be referred to the appropriate person.
Otherwise, I will review your message on my return.
-------------
Original Text
From: Katie carruth <[log in to unmask]>, on 9/28/99 6:11 PM:
Tell United Nations Leaders Your Views and Experience!

At the Fourth World Conference on Women (1995), delegates from 189
countries endorsed the Platform for Action, which identified "Women
and Health" as a critical area of concern. The Platform emphasized the
importance of a holistic and life-cycle approach to women's health. It
emphasized women's right to enjoy the highest attainable standard of
physical and mental health, including reproductive health. It
addressed the right of women to control all aspects of their
health, and the equal relationship between women and men in sexual
relations and reproduction.

In June 2000, the UN General Assembly in New York will meet to review
whether governments, international organizations,  non-governmental
organizations, and the private sector have fulfilled the commitments
made at the Fourth World Conference on Women.

We need to hear from you! WomenWatch is hosting an Internet Working
Group To Secure and Promote Women's Health. The Working Group will
provide input about women and health into the UN review.  We invite
you to join the Working Group, which runs from 6 September -
15 October 1999, and share your experiences. Your input will directly
feed into the General Assembly's assessment of progress and the
recommendations that it makes for further actions. You can make a
crucial contribution to the UN's review!

The Working Group is examining:

* Policies, legislation, strategies and partnerships that have been
successful in promoting women's health
* Case studies, best practices and other examples of successful
government and civil society efforts
* Obstacles that remain and how they can be overcome
* Proposals for future actions

Join hundreds of government representatives, activists, academics,
private sector representatives and many others to share your
experiences and ideas!

HOW TO JOIN

Anyone with email can join. To join, send an e-mail message to:

Do not enter a subject.  In the body of the message, type the text:

subscribe women-health

Do not put anything after women-health.  You will receive a Welcome
Letter to the Working Group.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION

For further information about <women-health>, please contact:

Dr. Janice Brodman
EDC

ABOUT WOMENWATCH
WomenWatch is the UN Internet gateway to global information about
women's concerns, progress and equality. Ita was initiated by the UN
Division for the Advancement of Women, the United Nations Development
Fund for Women and the International Research and Training Institute
for the Advancement of Women. WomenWatch is currently an interagency
activity with active participation from many UN organizations.

WomenWatch is located on the Internet at www.un.org/womenwatch.