CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Adele Torrance <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:30:11 -0500
Synergy Online -- January 9, 2003

Synergy Online is also available on the Web!
http://www.csih.org/synergy/synergy.html

In this issue:
-IMPROVED 2002 COMPENDIUM OF CANADIAN RESOURCES IN INTERNATIONAL HEALTH
NOW AVAILABLE!
-QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT THE CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL HEALTH REGISTRY
-RED CROSS/RED CRESCENT 2003 OVERVIEW OF OPERATIONS
-CERTIFICATE PROGRAM IN MANAGING DISASTERS AND COMPLEX HUMANITARIAN
EMERGENCIES
-HEALTH CANADA INTRODUCES NEW NUTRITION LABELLING REQUIREMENTS
-SURVEY OF COMPANIES IN THE NATURAL HEALTH PRODUCTS INDUSTRY
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

IMPROVED 2002 COMPENDIUM OF CANADIAN RESOURCES IN INTERNATIONAL HEALTH
NOW AVAILABLE!

The 'improved' 2002 Compendium of Canadian Resources in International
Health offers information on the 30 PAHO/WHO Collaborating Centres in
Canada as well as useful listings with website addresses of partners in
international health in Canada and overseas and international health
programs at Canadian universities. The 2002 Compendium of Canadian
Resources in International Health is a work in progress and is
continuously updated. The Compendium is available on the CSIH website
at: http://www.csih.org/paho/ccCanada.html.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS ABOUT THE CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL HEALTH REGISTRY

Q: How does my organization request a search of the registry?
A: If your organization is known to CSIH, please identify the
criteria/qualifications you would like us to search for on the database.
Take a look at the online registration form so that you have an idea of
the kind of keywords we might use in a search:
http://www.csih.org/healthreg.html E-mail CSIH your job criteria to
[log in to unmask]  We will contact you once we have completed the search or
if we need extra details.  If you are part of an organization that
hasn't worked with CSIH before, let's get acquainted!  Please e-mail a
descriptive summary of your organization to the address above and we
will then contact you.

Q: I have just registered.  How long will it take before I start hearing
about jobs?
A: Searches of the registry database are conducted at the request of
potential employers, so the timing of searches really depends on the
needs of the international health sector market. This is why we like to
refer to the database as a "networking tool" rather than a job search
tool.  CSIH will gladly connect you to its world of contacts, but the
contacts themselves must first request our help in seeking to fill a
position!

Q: If I am a member of the Canadian Society for International Health, am
I registered?
A: You are not automatically included in the Canadian International
Health Registry when you become a member of the Society.  Please
consider filling out the online registration form at:
http://www.csih.org/healthreg.html.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

RED CROSS/RED CRESCENT 2003 OVERVIEW OF OPERATIONS

The International Committee of the Red Cross/Red Crescent (ICRC) expects
conflict situations worldwide to be more complex and less predictable in
2003.  ICRC says its challenges will include the growing phenomenon of
non-state actors and questions on the relevance of international
humanitarian law and the legitimacy of humanitarian action.  The 2003
ICRC Overview of Operations is available in PDF format at:
http://www.icrc.org/Web/eng/siteeng0.nsf/html/5GVEKF?OpenDocument.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

CERTIFICATE PROGRAM IN MANAGING DISASTERS AND COMPLEX HUMANITARIAN
EMERGENCIES

Boston University's Center for International Health will be offering a
certificate program in Managing Disasters and Complex Humanitarian
Emergencies (CHEs) from February 10 to May 2, 2003.  The course will
cover the causes and consequences of CHEs, including the initial
response and the meeting of basic needs such as food, water, health care
and shelter.  Specific attention will be paid to potential public health
problems and interventions.  The application deadline for the course is
January 13, 2003.  For more information, visit:  www.bumc.bu.edu/ih.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

HEALTH CANADA INTRODUCES NEW NUTRITION LABELLING REQUIREMENTS

Consumers will soon start to see more information about the nutritional
value of most pre-packaged food under new labelling requirements that
were published on January 1, 2003. "Nutritional information is essential
to helping Canadians make informed choices for healthy living," said the
Honourable Anne McLellan, Minister of Health. Under the new regulations,
producers of prepackaged foods will have to declare the number of
calories and the amount of fat, saturated and trans fats, cholesterol,
sodium, carbohydrate, fibre, sugars, protein, vitamins A and C, calcium
and iron in a specified amount of food.
For the full press release, visit:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/media/releases/2003/2003_01.htm.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

SURVEY OF COMPANIES IN THE NATURAL HEALTH PRODUCTS INDUSTRY

The Natural Health Products Directorate of Health Canada is asking
companies in the natural health products industry to fill out a
questionnaire so that they may assess the potential impact of a proposed
regulatory framework.  The new regulations will ensure all Canadians
have ready access to natural health products that are safe, effective
and of high quality, while respecting freedom of choice and
philosophical and cultural diversity.  Those companies that wish to
participate in the survey should complete the questionnaire about
anticipated impacts at the website:
http://infopoll.net/Live/surveys/s19985.htm.  The proposed regulatory
framework is available on the Health Canada website:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpb/onhp/welcome_e.html.