CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2014 17:04:23 -0500
Here is an updated report from those involved in the Research Methods
Library of Alexandria (RMLA):

Dear Friends, (from Ron LaPorte)

It has been a wild ride with Ebola during the past few weeks. It was
really fun to teach the world about Ebola, and to have a lecture
produced from Africa with 13 translations in 3 days.  At the time of the
outbreak, people were able to learn from trustworth academics, rather
than reporters, government, or industry.  The JIT [Just-in-Time] model
of knowledge sharing is very powerful, and we are pleased so many people
participated.  IT also provide once again that "no body hates global
health"...the scientists from Saudi Arabia, Paris, Tehran, Israel,
Pakistan, Malaysia, Japan, Hong Kong, and even those who have a bit of
dislike world wide, Americans, worked together.  Some of the lectures
such as [in] Urdi spent hours in translation.  For me, and all of our
team, we are also indebted to you all as well

The Ebola lecture has lead us into a new directions, that of the Library
of Alexandria Africa, where we are collaborating with the Library to
make it the center of science for Africa.

We already have the Research Methods Library of Alexandria, and are
planning to build at the library a top peer reviewed, English language,
open access journal.  Also, we are developing something really cool
Eugene Subnikov is identifying the Health lectures that are on the web
from African scientists, such as AIDs in Africa, Malaria, diabetes,
etc.  In the next few week we plan to have the most complete collection
of African Health lectures by Africans. This should get a large number
of visits, many people will want to look at the AIDS in Africa lectures
from the African Perspective

Also, we are prepared with a very powerful team to do almost any
disaster lecture for Africa.

Just think of what we could do if we had funding!!

ron [LaPorte]

/"Health is a state of complete physical, mental, and social well-being
and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity". (WHO)/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z_CsRVbBCI        [Youtube Supercourse
of Science]
http://ssc.bibalex.org/helpdesk/introduction.jsf     [BA Research Library]
www.pitt.edu/~super1/       [Supercourse]

Ronald E. LaPorte, Ph.D.
Emeritus Director WHO Collaborating Center
Professor Emeritus Epidemiology
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

I prefer to have you email at [log in to unmask]
Telephone  Cell 412 915 1495, home 724 934 9023
Member RMLA/Supercourse team

---
posting forward by San Lanfranco

Access CANCHID archives at: https://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/canchid.html