CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in Development <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 23:14:04 -0700
For the past several years the global health community has been
expressing concern over the proposed creation of global top level domain
names (gTLDs) linked to health and wellness. There have been editorials
in the Lancet British medical journal and elsewhere, and significant
effort to stop the awarding of the .health and similar gTLD strings.
(.com, .net, .edu are examples of gTLD strings. ICANN (icann.org) has
pending approval for the creation of .health and it has been delayed in
part because of concern on the part of national governments.

Within I can there is a committee called the Governmental Advisory
Committee (GAC), made of of representatives of three-quarters of the
countries in the world and they have yet to give their advice to ICANN
on .health and similar health related strings. I have been asked by
those involved in Health Information for All 2015 (
http://www.hifa2015.org/ ) to provide information so that individuals
and organizations can express their concerns around the awarding of the
gTLD .health to private interests. (If you need further information an
online search using .health and dothealth will produce a wealth of
information).

For those of you, individually or as organizations, who are interested
in expressing your concerns to your national government and your
governments member of ICANN's Governmental Advisory Committee, here is
the link to the current list of national GAC contacts, with email
addresses etc.

I strongly advise national stakeholders to engage their national GAC
representatives and associated government ministries with your concerns
about .health and other health-related gTLDs being considered by ICANN.
A dialogue at that level is very important. Here is the link to the GAC
representative information.
https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/GAC+Representatives ( I also
have a 7meg .PDF of the list available on request).

If you are going to contact your GAC representative I would suggest that
(a) you target only those GAC representatives where you or your
organization have a presence. A general spam-like email barrage to other
GAC members would be counter productive.

Second, I would appreciate it if you could cc: email everything you send
to your GAC members to me at the following email box: *[log in to unmask]*
I will take the emails and using something like openstreetmap draw a
picture of which countries engaged in email with their GAC
representative, and how many representations were made, both as
individuals and as organizations.  Your information will be kept
confidential.

To recount:

List at      : https://gacweb.icann.org/display/gacweb/GAC+Representatives

cceMail: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Sam Lanfranco, Chair
ICANN/NPOC Public Policy Committee

Access CANCHID archives at: https://listserv.yorku.ca/archives/canchid.html