CANCHID Archives

Canadian Network on Health in Development

CANCHID@YORKU.CA

From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Canadian Network on Health in International Development
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 1994 06:11:07 EDT
* CANCHID ANNOUNCEMENT: New Journal of HEALTH AND HUMAN RIGHTS      *
*         ------------------- # # # -------------------             *
* <Info Contact: Frances Lieberthal <[log in to unmask]>    *
  From John F. Lauerman, Managing Editor:

  I am the managing editor of a new journal called Health and Human Rights.
  We are trying to raise worldwide awareness of the linkage between and
  health and human rights, and the importance of collaboration between
  workers in both fields. Our center, the Francois-Xavier Bagnoud Center
  for Health and Human Rights at the Harvard School of Public Health,
  organized the First International Conference on Health and Human Rights
  at Harvard University in September, and it was a great success. I would
  appreciate it if you would put this message on your bulletin board, or
  even send it individually to persons whom you think might be interested.
  Thank you for your help.

  Also, if you would be interested in carrying selected articles from
  Health and Human Rights on your bulletin board, please let me know. Thank
  you for your attention.

  Sincerely,
  John F. Lauerman
  Managing Editor
  Health and Human Rights
  HEALTH AND HUMAN RIGHTS
  A New International Quarterly Journal

        The Francois-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights
  and the Harvard School of Public Health are proud to announce the
  publication of the first issue of a new journal, Health and Human Rights.

        The promotion and protection of health and the promotion and
  protection of human rights are now understood to be inextricably linked.
  To define health as well-being -- physical, mental and social -- takes
  health far beyond medical services and a biomedical framework.  Public
  health seeks to ensure the conditions in which people can be healthy, and
  in turn, the extent to which these underlying conditions are realized
  defines personal and collective vulnerability to disease, disability and
  premature death.

        The modern concept of human rights is extraordinarily vibrant,
  hope-filled and complex. Human rights address the critical question of
  the conditions that are needed for human well-being to flourish.  Today,
  the promotion and protection of human rights and dignity are urgent
  concerns at the community, national and global level.

        Until recently, however, dialogue between the worlds of health
  and human rights was quite limited.  Even today, health and human rights
  workers are frequently unaware of the reciprocal and powerful
  interactions between health and human rights.

        The creation of this new journal, Health and Human Rights,
  responds to the need to help bridge the health and human rights
  communities.  Health and Human Rights will facilitate this dialogue with
  articles that: present the experience of health and human rights workers
  who have collaborated to bring about positive change; communicate results
  of research and analysis in health and human rights; and provide a forum
  for further exploration of the complex relationships between health and
  human rights.

        By initiating this dialogue, we can contribute to lasting
  change.  We are not simply looking for readers, but for people working in
  health and human rights to contribute to discourse and discovery -- to
  change both fields and make our work stronger and more effective.

        Health and Human Rights articles will examine such issues as:
  *  the right to health: status, evolution and future developments
  *  assessments of the health impacts of human rights violations in
  conflict and in peacetime, including rape, denial of information about
  occupation and environmental hazards, and denial of rights to shelter,
  education and association.
  *  evaluations of the human rights impact and burden created by health
  policies, programs and practices, including analyses of the impact on
  human rights of current and proposed national and global health initiatives
  *  human rights-based analyses of major health problems such as cancer,
  cardiovascular disease, injuries, violence, environmental threats to
  health and maternal mortality.

        In addition, Health and Human Rights will report on important
  developments in the UN system and in other intergovernmental, regional
  and nongovernmental agencies.

        Health and Human Rights has an unique subscription and
  distribution policy. In order to ensure maximal international
  distribution, our journal is distributed free to individuals in
  developing countries. Institutions and individuals in industrialized
  countries must subscribe at a modest rate. If you are interested in
  Health and Human Rights, please contact us today to receive a
  complimentary copy of our first issue. If you know of others who may be
  interested in reading the journal, please send us their names and
  addresses.

        The Francois-Xavier Bagnoud Center for Health and Human Rights is
  proud to present Health and Human Rights to you.  We hope it will
  stimulate, challenge and please you!

  Jonathan Mann, MD, MPH
  Editor

  John F. Lauerman