From:
ZS Worotynec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 10:31:46 -0400
Hi Barbara.

"Social competence" in children is one of those 'outcomes' that is
purportedly achieved through high quality early childhood programs. There
is a lot of material that speaks to the social competence of children as,
for example, a predictor to a child's Readiness for School, etc. Here's a
few sites/research projects specifically related to early childhood
programs, to get you started (you might also search out
work by Gillian Doherty, esp. what she did for the Applied Research
Branch at HRSDC):

Understanding the Early Years (UEY) is a federally funded initiative that
is examining several factors in young children that contribute to their
healthy growth and development, including "social competence". See
http://www.sdc.gc.ca/en/hip/sd/UEY2006/uey_overview.shtml

From a report on the Public Health Agency of Canada website: "There is
good evidence that high quality ECEC programs: provide intellectual and
social stimulation that promotes cognitive development and social
competence, that can establish a basis for later success in elementary
school.
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/ph-sp/phdd/overview_implications/07_ecec.html

The previous federal gov't launched an initiative to support child health
and well-being, called the Early Child Development Initiative. Five
domains are considered to make up "well-being" including "Social knowledge
and competence". See
http://www.socialunion.ca/ecd/2002/b-intro.htm

It's interesting ot me that the organization "KidsFirst" does not identify
itself on their website or provide other related info. Who are they? Are
they affiliated with a mental health group/org? How are they funded?

ZS