From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 May 1996 10:56:00 -0400
As another facilitator of the CLICK4HP list-serv, I'm delighted to join Liz
Rykert in welcoming the many people who have subscribed  to this discussion
of the uses of computer-mediated communication (CMC) in health promotion.

I am a health promotion consultant at the Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse
(OPC) in Toronto. Much of my work over the past 8 years has been assisting
HP practitioners and researchers to network with each other and with
community organizations to develop, plan, strategize, sustain and evaluate
health promotion programs in Ontario and elsewhere.  Computers have been an
important tool in my work - initially for databases, research & analysis,
word-processing, and for networking. In the past five years with the advent
of e-mail, the Internet, and various electronic communications
possibilities; I have been able to expand my health promotion networking,
research, information sharing and working together with people across vast
distances.  These are times of rapid change in our economy, our
organizations, the nature of our work and home-life and in information
technologies.  While computers have helped me to find and distribute
information on creating healthy communities, I am most excited by the
opportunities to work collaboratively, to use the tools of the Internet to
organize and take action, and to learn new skills with others.

At the same time, I think that it is important to use some critical analysis
about any approach, tool or model that we use. We need to ask some "wicked
questions" about CMC and about Health Promotion.  I am looking forward to
many exchanges on this discussion group.

On my lighter side, I also use the Internet for fun; and take a lot of time
to get away from computers to enjoy life to the fullest.  I am very
fortunate to live on an island near to the big city, in an extraordinary
community and parkland. Skating (ice and in-line), cycling, hiking, birding,
cooking, long conversations plus the endless pleasures of garden and home
are my every day joys.  Perhaps we can find a way to mix the virtual and
real aspects of our own health promotion.

Alison Stirling
(416) 408-2121 ext 226