From:
David Seedhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:13:43 +0000
Forwarded message:
From:     Self <Single-user mode>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Health Promotion: Philosophy, Prejudice and Practice
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 1997 11:08:30

Dear Marit

I came across your comments recently.  I'm rather puzzled by them
because they are mostly completely inaccurate.  For example, there
are 125 references, not 300.  The book is quite clearly about health
promotion - see chapter 5 (The Political Roots of Health Promotion)
for instance, and the first two dialogues where I chart the
development of public health/health education/health promotion.
Furthermore I have not avoided professional discussions for 'the last
ten years' - I know these all too well and several are referenced.

Most remarkably you do not seem to have read Part Three at all (the
book is in three parts).  If you had you could scarcely have said
that I don't put forward a positive, practical theory of health
promotion.  Please take a closer look at this section.  It is called
'The Foundations Theory of Health Promotion', it is explained between
pages 135 and 189, and it is as far as I know the only
philosophically sustained theory of health promotion there is.

I appreciate that the book may be hard going at times, but I assure
you that it is directed at the central philosophical issues for
health promotion, and will repay more careful study.

Best wishes

David Seedhouse