From:
Alison Stirling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jun 1996 20:04:00 -0400
The following is a message that Peggy Schultz attempted to post from OPC
smtp gateway, but the e-mail server collapsed mid message and didn't
reach the York U. list-server (out-of-memory it said and went on
strike).  Since I'm trying to use the same server, but through web.net, I
may experience the same problem.  It is one of the difficulties that we
have in trying to promote health with the chronically ill [technology]!
- Alison  <[log in to unmask]>
************
First of all - good luck, to our facilitators, Alison Stirling and Liz
Rykert as they soon head to the CPHA conference in Vancouver to deliver
their workshop on computer-mediated communication (CMC) in health promtoion.

I found myself identifying with much of JM Pupont's discussion about
virtual and real time - especially as it relates to the discussions of
this list-serv. I wonder if "time" is the issue or whether the discussion
topics have limited relevance to participants, since the volume of
response seems to have lessened.

But if we, as health promoters, are to consider our place as "knowledge
workers" - to become more "intelligent and responsive" we need to be able
to have meaningful conversations via computer. How do we know or, ensure,
that there is listening and understanding (much of which we have to do as
health promtoers - but often face-to-face etc)? How do we pay attention
to what is not spoken? I think this will take practice (as does dialogue
in the real world) and I still assume there is a powerful vehicle here
which health promoters can take into the 21st century. I  hink that is
the challenge - that we must figure out how to use this technology with
its potential - rather than being swept along by it.  Sam Lanfranco's
work helps to bring focus to this "transforming" capacity through the use
of virtual space. The technology can amplify the opportunity or it can
reflect the dysfunctional patterns.  Health promoters will live, work and
communicate in the virtual and real world.

AND, then there is the question of access and equity in cyberspace...
this is not assured, and I will end here.

Peggy Schultz