From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 06:54:36 -0400
[note to Click for Health Promoters: Jack Layton is one of our best (and most
progessive) Metropolitan Toronto counselors; note his e-mail address]]

The death spiral refers to the continuing decline in funding to public transit in
Toronto, associated decreases in service, and subsequent fall-off in ridership.
Already Toronto has the highest percentage of operating cost paid by fare
revenues E-mail your comments and letters to him and he will forward them]

[note to Jack: Click for Health Promotion is a world-wide list serve of health
promoters.  Many of the subscribers are in Toronto and Ontario. The subscribers in
Northern Europe could certainly give us lessons in public transit!]

To: "d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>

Congrats on your mobilization against front yard parking.  A major victory!
A small footnote which did not recieve much publicity at the time was the
provision in the 1984 front yard parking by-law that there would be no front
yard parking permitted in Wards 5 and 6 (then they were Ward 6),
irrespective of what was permitted elsewhere in the city.  As the proposer
of that restriction, I'm very happy that our downtown model is now in the
process of being adopted adopted city wide.

On the other hand, there are many further battles ahead -- like the massive
assault on our public transit system: fares / service / death spiral!  Let's
all communicate about this.

Howard Moscoe and I are sponsoring a motion to roll back the fare increase,
using funds which metro has in an emergency 'contingency account'.  5 of 6
years past this account has been used to help the TTC but this year Tonks
seems hell bent on preventing it .

Letters, faxes, calls to swing Metro Councillors will definitely help - tell
them seniors cannot afford a 43% increase (that's right - incredible isn't it.)

All the best in your work!!!

Jack Layton