From:
Peter Elson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:33:51 -0500

        RE: AJPH article:

To clarify my point, I didn't intend to indicate that food security
programs are an acceptable "answer", but working toward providing people
with adequate incomes to address their needs tomorrow and providing the
support they need today are not mutually exclusive activities. My reference
to food security programs was used because the research article reflected
an obvious cultural divide between the described health promotion practices
and the day-to-day reality of the people in St-Henri. Food security
programs reach these people and through such programs a clearer, more
meaningful and more compassionate health promotion strategy could evolve.
 At least, that's our experience and objective at OPHA.  Meanwhile, we've
also written Paul Martin and made our views on child poverty abundently
clear.

Peter Elson