From:
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 1996 20:07:31 -0400
Blake Poland wrote:
>Hello All: I thought you might find the following message of interest (it
>appeared on the CD4URBAN internet discussion group on community
>development).
>
>[Perhaps I should ask, what is the "accepted" etiquette on forwarding
>messages without approval from the original author -...

Netiquette on cross posting is as you describe....I would also add when
moving a posting from one discussion to another, if it is in the middle of
some debate, it is important for the person cross posting to give a summary
of the discussion to date. In this case the person is looking for info which
may be helpful to futhering an effort. The context is apparent from the posting.

Another tip is to consider the subject line carefully and title it in a way
which lets the recipient know what is in it. For example I might title the
message you forwarded as:
  "Xpost(or FYI) - Telecommunications for Rural Dev"

In fact a number of people refer to this as zone play on the internet. For
example in the conference I facilitate for my project people tend to bring
info in because, out of personal or professional interest, they have found
something of relevance to the group. In this way  all people don't have to
be on top of all the resources out there.

I have also found this to be a useful exercise between individuals. It is
not unlike the way you might clip an article for a coworker from the paper
because it is relevant to their work. Alison Stirling and I for example
monitor different lists online, as well as professional journals and
resources in the literal milieu. We are always trading new info as a way to
keep on top of the latest stuff...we do this both electronically and at the
photocopier ;-)

Finally it is normal to clip all the techno babble from the posting but to
ensure the name and origin of the original author remains.

Now....to respond to the query:

>Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 10:04:33 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Alice L Jones <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Telecommunications for Rural Development
>

>> A task force has recently been organized in Southeastern Georgia to look at
>> ways in which telecommunications can be used to enhance community and
>> economic development.

I would suggest pointing your browser at http://sap.mit.edu/projects/colloquium/

There is a an ongoing colloquium happening at MIT discussing the issues
above. The speaker line-up is top notch and the web pages contain speakers
notes as well as transcripts. Definitely worth a bookmark!

Liz Rykert