From:
"Stirling, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 1996 16:36:00 -0400
I haven't signed on yet by introduction; this seems as good
a time as any.  I admit to some reluctance with the keen
desire to engage with one another electronically.  While I
am an ardent e-mail junkie, I find the Web too clogged with
garbage to be terribly helpful.  Information without
reflection and dialogue is a far cry from knowledge, and
may even be inversely related.  (That's why I stopped
subscribing to "information" glutted newspapers and
magazines a decade ago and only pick them up on want to
know basis.)  However, this letter speaks to what I think
this technology (as a tool) is good for--snippy exchanges
of useful ideas.  (The problem, of course, is with a
listserv, how much time do I take sorting through all the
letters to find one that interests me/speaks to something
to which I can make a contribution.  I'm not tekkie enough
to know if that's just a technical problem solved by better
software, but I suspect it is.)

So, to Anne Cogdon and others:  There is a possibly helpful
"tool" out there on the Web designed by Steven Fawcett of
the Work Group on Health Promotion and Community
Development, University of Kansas.  Called the "Tool Box,"
it's an ongoing, interactive collection of useful bits on
almost every topic faced by health promoters.  At the
present, it focuses a lot on US stuff and, because its
funding is partly Kansas-based and tied to risk-factor
sorts of programs, it may not meet every health promoter's
needs.  Here's the rub:  I can't find the Web address, and
Steven (bless his hyperspatial soul) doesn't even do
e-mail.

So here's a fax number to seek advice:

        (913) 864-5281.

Or an address:

Work Group on Health Promotion and Community Development,
4086 Dole Building, University of Kansas,
Lawrence Kansas 66045

Cheers!  Ron Labonte

 [from A.S. :-) ]   NEWS!  - here's the URL for the Community Tool Box:
http://129.237.244.170/homepage.htm

This message is a re-posting of a post that 'bounced back' to the list-serv
facilitators with an error in the body of the message. Beware of 'replying'
to a post and including the entire text of the earlier message - computers
don't like to be told twice who the message is for!