From:
Wolf Kirsten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 12:33:13 -0400
I would like to revisit the issue of health promotion and 'globalization'
after my initial e-mail a few weeks ago. Thanks for the helpful responses
by the way. In response to Theresa Schumila's comments about the term
'globalization' I would like to point out the following:

I know that 'globalization' is a very general term and can be interpreted
in many ways. I was trying to describe the current global developments
which are changing the world in a rapid way: economic expansion,
international trade, technology, information 'revolution', etc. Basically,
a whole different mind set has been created with people in more and more
countries looking beyond their immediate environment across borders and
oceans. Relocating to a different country and new culture is becoming more
popular.
The term was not meant in either a negative or positive way. In my mind,
there are positive and negative effects of these developments. I know it is
becoming increasingly popular (for a good reason) in the health promotion
and public health arena to take on the issue of the dominance of the
economic powers and how these affect health promotion but I would like to
look at the issue from a broader and less political perspective. The field
has also benefited from the developments and I do not necessarily agree
that health promotion has always been global. It is phenomenal what we have
experienced over the past few years with our International Insitute for
Health Promotion at American University in terms of increasing interest in
the concept of health promotion (of course with different interpretations)
and of the many common problems/issues in spite of the cultural
differences. The interdisciplinary nature of health promotion comes out
here and that is why I would like to look at the issue from a broad
perspective (although I agree the economic side has a huge impact).

In spite of the negative impact, can we as health promoters take advantage
in the next milennium of the fact that the world "is becoming a smaller
place"? I would appreciate any comments/insight. Thank you.

WOLF KIRSTEN
International Program Manager
National Center for Health Fitness
Nebraska Hall - LL