From:
Susan Lilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 08:55:28 -0300
Hi June,

You asked about how we used stories in health promotion. I want to
preface my answer by saying that we used the methodology developed by Ron
Labonte and Joan Feather at the Prairie Region Health Promotion Research
Centre, called "A Structured Dialogue in Health Promotion". They have
published a detailed handbook which you can probably access through them.

For the workshops I organized for Health Canada (HPPB), we brought health
promoters together to tell their personal stories on the theme of
"involving the target population". They told their stories in small
groups, discussed and analyzed them, and took notes about what was
important, what could be learned from the stories. In plenary,
participants then analyzed all the insights and learnings, and came up
with many interesting conclusions about the theme, and about how to do
health promotion, in general. We also talked about how they could use
stories in their communities.

An interesting twist to the process was bringing francophones and
anglophones together in a bilingual workshop in New Brunswick. All in all,
it was a very rich experience in learning about what works and what
doesn't in health promotion. A report of the workshops will be available
soon.

If you would like more info, please contact me directly, or better yet,
contact Joan Feather at the PRHPRC, [log in to unmask]

Cheers!

Susan Lilley
NS Facilitator, Community Health Promotion Network Atlantic
Communication en francais ou en anglais!