From:
Susan MacMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 09:17:53 -0600
     I appreciate Nora's observations identified below.  This is an
important point of discussion and, I hope, one that will continue as
technologies change. I agree that this could become a method of isolating
individuals in workplaces. Many people in the workplace are currently
experiencing reduced budgetary priority for travel and time for activities
intended to improve the human contact and the face to face activities.  I
see electronic communication  as a means of connecting  these people who are
feeling isolated and desire the contact.  It can also decrease the amount of
time spent spent on information sharing and preparatory work often found in
face to face meetings.

     The key to which way electronic communication is used is the support
within the workplace and agreement among staff to use it for particular
purposes.  My worry is that the people in workplaces who support reductions
in budgets that are dedicated to networking and other forms of human contact
are also the ones who do not appreciate the need/benefits of electronic
communication thus are not providing the hardware and software necessary to
take part in discussions such as these.

     We are social beings, at least most of us, and will always need human
contact.  This includes people without a workplace who can stay connected
through electronic methods.  I think it has its place but should not be seen
as a means of isolated us further but rather an opportunity to connect.

Susan MacMillan

>  Sorry about being the silent lurking "Ludite" here. I have enjoyed your
>bits of information ,and appreciated interesting questions and concerns. As
>a learner I'm appreciative of this aspect of the work place and notice I
>will spend more time after hours . If I can find out -shouldn't I !? As far
>as the larger community I have to be careful not to overwhelm my clients
>with more info than they may want. If this method can really provide more
>'teachable moments"-how accessible?-at what cost for what trade? Is this a
>parallel place with no sacrifices? humm...   I agree employees are as always
>sacrificed, but I'm trying to understand if we are really teaching people to
>prefer machines and faceless contact. With that I better go find a friend
>and get on the bike while the sun shines. :) Nora
>I12:44 PM 6/14/96 EDT, you wrote:
>>Structured discussions as suggested by Liz Rykert sound really helpful at
>>this time.  Actually I realize that "interpreting the silence" is often a
>>factor in electronic communicating...BUT then, it is also present in
>>face-to-face dialogue!
>>ces/communities?)
>>

>> I wonder if the creation of the  electronic workplace has more to do with
>>how organizations are already faring with regard to their employees...for
>>example we hear of workplaces that have downsized in terms of employees only
>>to put their resources into technology.  Which are the assets? - people or
>>the technology?

-----

---
Susan MacMillan            e-mail: [log in to unmask]
The University of Lethbridge