From:
Wendy Burgoyne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:07:32 -0400
Best Start is in the preliminary stages of developing a new "How to"
resource related to health promotion in populations that are resistant
to traditional maternal newborn health messages. We are looking for your
input. The proposed new resource would be part of Best Start's series of
"how to" resources that include:
How to Build Partnerships with Physicians
How to Build Partnerships with Workplaces
How to Build Partnerships with Youth
How to Work with Coalitions

These text of these existing resources can be viewed at:
http://www.beststart.org/resources/other_res.html

The series focuses on brief tips, ideas and stories related to the topic
area and maternal newborn health promotion. The resources are used to
support Best Start consultations and training sessions. They are in
short newsletter formats, and are not intended to take the place of more
in-depth resources that look at the topic in a broader context (ie those
that are looking at health promotion in general rather than the specific
maternal newborn applications).

For now, the new resource has been loosely named "How to Work with
Resistant Populations". We want to include ideas, tips and information.
There would be brief "stories", examples of Ontario interventions in
populations that are resistant to specific maternal newborn health
messages. A few examples could include:
-promoting smoke-free pregnancies in the tobacco belt
-promoting smoke-free pregnancies in communities where smoking is an
expectation at social events
-promoting alcohol-free pregnancies in the north where weekend bingeing
is a social norm
-promoting breastfeeding where formula feeding is a social norm

If you have any suggestions (research, existing resources, websites,
stories, important information, people to contact etc) I would be very
happy to hear from you.

Wendy

--

Wendy Burgoyne