From:
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 1996 08:05:17 -0400
Thank you Simon for bringing the historical context to light.

Simon Mielniczuk wrote:
>That earlier attempt started with a few introductions of individuals and
Health >Promotion organizations. There was an interesting exchange on
theoretical >underpinnings of health promotion and its definition.
Conference announcements. >Information requests. Some cross-postings from
other lists. Then it just died off >until it closed.

You could be describing our efforts to date with the exception of the last
sentence!

>This current attempt starts off with far larger subsciber base. Presumably
health >promoters are now more connected than they were three years ago. It
is still too early >to get a sense of the group concerns and interests.

I believe the numbers reflect your observation regarding health promoters
being more connected. Our challenge will be to recognize this list as both a
place to discuss the implications of CMC for health Promotion in Canada and
to use it as a virtual workplace to get on with the work.

My sense is there is a tendency to fall into the use for exchanging
information, seeking solutions, and building connections. In my work to date
on-line I have noticed almost all activites can be grouped into three
categories: seeking information, providing information, and working
together. Each category can call upon different tools at our disposal to
enable the work.

At the beginning of the list I made a call for lessons learned regarding the
use of the internet. This lead to a limited response. I am cautious to
interpret the silence on this given the newness of the list and am reluctant
to conclude or assume the silence means there are no lessons learned.

My work to date has focussed on supporting community groups to make the
transition to working on-line and animating the on-line space in a way which
encourages participation, supports collaboration and equitable partnerships,
and maximizes the capacity of the technology to increase access to
information to those who it is meant to benefit.

I invite click4hper's to consider and post their reflections about how they
have used cmc to further the aims of health promotion (even it feels like
you are stating the obvious!) What have you learned and/or recognized as key
components to planning the inclusion of cmc in your efforts?

Liz Rykert - co-owner Click4hp