From:
Walter Weary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:25:38 -0500
Dear Joe

I read your reply to Dennis Raphael as posted on  CLICK4HP and could not
but take offense at your characterization of Canadian workers as "dull,
distressed, and sick" . The remark is a broad and inappropriate
generalization of Canadian workers. After 15 years of managing  Canadian
workers, I am convinced that the majority overcome numerous barriers and
hurdles to perform remarkably on the job. Canadian workers are creative,
energetic and committed, despite organizational and systemic stressors
that confuse their efforts to get things done. Your remark is
discriminatory and an embarrassment to the university. A retraction
would not be inappropriate.

With regards the remainder of your argument, I agree that we should
address the determinants you mentioned in the e-mail, and that we should
involve the IBMs of the world. The IBMs of the world have much to teach
us. Health and the economy are related, of course, but with the current
and widening gap between the rich and the poor I would propose a rethink
of the objectives that the system aspires to create.

China is not an example I would use. China has massive structural and
operational problems that leave millions in terrible poverty. Pollution
is  a severe problem, educational levels are low, and health care is
selectively available. Yes, China is about to emerge as a world power,
but their treatment of workers in the future is as yet to be seen.