From:
Debbie Monkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 1996 13:09:02 -0400
I am glad to have an opportunity to introduce myself to the list (and
I agree that people who participate in the start-up and feel like
they can contribute will go a long way towards making a relevant and
interesting list). My name is Debbie Monkman and I am a librarian by
profession, currently working at the Addiction Research Foundation's
Reference & Research Services (that is, library services). I also do
Internet training for addictions professionals and staff from time to
time.

I am interested in this listserv in part because it relates to my use
of SANO BBS, the Substance Abuse Network of Ontario, and the U.S.
PREVline, both addictions-related BBSs used by professionals.  I am
personally interested in the appropriate uses of CMC since as a
librarian my role is to make sense of the world of
data-info-knowledge -- to access it, retrieve relevant info, judge
its relevance and validity, and package it for those we serve so they
can make sense of it!  This includes all formats of information:
print, video, people, electronic... Making sure that those who need
knowledge have access isn't always easy when there's so much stuff
out there and people's abilities (time, cost, literacy, location,
etc.) to access info vary so greatly.

I find to be of interest hints from others about useful resources
plus examples of effective strategies, and of course, philosophical
meanderings.

Debbie Monkman ([log in to unmask])
Head, Reference & Research Services
Addiction Research Foundation
33 Russell St, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5S 2S1
http://sano.arf.org/ or telnet sano.arf.org
http://www.arf.org/