From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 1996 13:27:55 -0400
This posting is about "zone play" in this CLICK4HP virtual space.

In a posting linking education and health, Dennis Raphael announced
the publication of >RING SOME ALARM BELLS IN ONTARIO: REACTIONS TO
THE REPORT OF  THE ROYAL COMMISSION ON LEARNING.

While the posting was only about 50 lines long I would caution us
against abusing the health promotion focus of this CLICK4HP space.
Health and Education are linked but there was nothing in the posting
on that point. The posting was notice of publication by one of its
authors. I have 16 years of on-line experience. Ten of those years
I have administered on-line conferences, news groups, and listservs
(currently about 15 listservs, several web sites). Several lessons
have been learned over the years.

The FIRST is that unless posters exercise restraint a version of the
tragedy of the commons (abusing common land) occurs. Those with the
greatest interest and stake in the focus (on-line health promotion)
are driven off the list and it loses its focus. LESSON:  Think: Is
"save the trees" too general? Is "Put a stop light on my corner" too
specific? If you think someting is important but "out of the zone"
post a 3-4 line query. People can follow it up with you - outside
CLICK4HP -. If follow-up is large, move it to CLICK4HP.

The SECOND is that publication postings are quite legitimate but that
they should not include the full "promo" package in the posting. Most
agree that the guidelines are: Book Name, Book focus (30-40 word
abstract), book publisher/price and - email contact for further info.
LESSON: This informs and people can follow it up with you outside
CLICK4HP -

The THIRD is that if the SUBJECT is about a link beyond the zone of
focus, the posting should address that link. The SUBJECT line should
inform with regard to the text and not be a "bait and switch" ploy.

The LAST is for each of us to learn to EDIT our replies when we want
to include parts of a prior posting. DO NOT hit REPLY and include the
whole posting, Don't lead off or follow with your one line "Right On!"
or "Out to Lunch". Any windows based software allows block delete. Use
it so your response is readable. Resist the temptation to say "Right On!"
to the list. Say it to the author - she/he is glad to know that someone
cared enough to send direct email.

The LAST PLUS ONE lesson has to do when one is complaining about persistant
abuse of the 'zone of focus', i.e., network etiquette. The best strategy
is to send a polite private email to the culprit. Having said that, why
have I posted this to the whole list? First, this is a new list and we are
helping to set etiquette for all of us. Second, I am the hidden-and-quiet
owner of this list at its York University home. Liz Rykert and Alison
Stirling are the real operational owners. The three of us have a special
stake in this list working well since that is part of our obligation as
owners and our reputations depend on it doing well. We are simply doing
our work so that the lists brings added value to your work.

Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>

If you have ideas about how to make it better - let us hear from you.