From:
"Schultz, Peggy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 10:16:00 EDT
Hello - I think one of the comforts of a list-serv like this is that someone
like me can subscribe, read the messages , digest them & decide when I can
jump in to more actively participate.  And, now, here I am weeks after the
list-serv was begun..

I have the benefit of being a working colleague of one of the facilitators
of this health promotion list-serv, working at the Ontario Prevention
Clearinghouse - in Toronto.  Our work over the years has been centred in
consultation and information services to support the work of health
promotion and community development in various communities.

I have been interested in the initial impetus of this list-serv as we  set
out to explore  "what are the implications of electronic communications
technology for health promotion in community organizing and networking?"
 This fits into an objective for the upcoming CPHA conference (in Vancouver
in July) - "to increase the capacity of workers in health promotion to
respond to the new environment"

I have no doubt that health promoters must find their way into cyberspace.
 We have to be comfortable exchanging e-mail, crossing through computer
networks, searching databases, retrieving information, transferring files
and participating in discussion groups, conferences, etc.   This list-serv
seems to be an example of the communication and information requirements of
our work in health promotion.

Another requirement of our work is to ensure that there is dialogue and
discussion about the changing world of work for health promoters and
communities.  How do we establish electronic workplaces and communities?
 What are the implications?  Does the technology merely reproduce the power
relations and inequities in our communities or does it provide alternatives?
 Is technology a tool or does it become an extension of ourselves ? What is
the relationship between "virtual" and "real" communities?

What is our role in helping to shape some of this electronic world to ensure
access and equity (which is not even readily present in the "real" world)?
 Will there be "on-line capability for all?"  Is this where health promoters
REALLY become the facilitators, rather than the experts so that people
design their own health promoting environment?

I am not sure that we can fully conceptualize the potential here (and the
accompanying contradictions) but, how will the Ottawa Charter For Health
Promotion be transformed in cyberspace?  For example, the Charter states
that "health is created and lived by people within settings of their
everyday life; where they learn, work, play and love".  This includes
control over one's life circumstances....still not achieved in many
communities where we work...what will be the role of health promoters to
ensure access and equity in this electronic world?