From:
"A. Simon Mielniczuk" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2006 22:04:31 -0400
One of the session summaries of the Moving Upstream Conference mentions:
"Balanced scorecard strategy mapping- need to assess the right conditions
for this. Ministry of
Health and LHINs are using this tool. Looks at learning and growth, culture,
values, internal
processes and a measurable statement of outcomes. In a subtle way, it can
influence thinking." (p. 8 English version - follow link below)

We recently completed a consultation with Nova Scotia Health Promotion
around an Information and Knowledge Exchange design. From these
consultations we proposed a high level Balanced Scorecard to guide their
initiative. While new to Health Promotion and, as one of the Upstream
Conference presenters noted, the BSC introduces new measures, not always
comfortable, which require learning.

From my experience, health promoters are strong on seeing the whole
picture/system. The Balanced Scorecard approach is exactly that. It
identifies, links and measures a comprehensive set of perspectives that,
working in alignment, produce desired results.

A copy of the Balanced Scorecard developed for the Nova Scotia initiative is
available at:
http://www.itscooperative.com/community/files/7/ikens/default.aspx

Please let us know if you find it useful or have applied the BSC approach in
your own health promotion strategy.

A. Simon Mielniczuk - Solutions Architect
ITS Co-operative Inc.
416.828.2118 / www.itscooperative.com
ITS blog:
http://www.itscooperative.com/community/blogs/its_weblog/default.aspx