Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:44:04 -0500
Heather G Ramsay
02/11/99 01:44 PM

There was a request for information on determinants of health re federal
perspective. Please see Health Canada Website: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca

When you enter the main site, click on to 'Health Promotion Online' (will
be in list to the right of your screen) then click on Health Promotion
Development or Population Health Development (will be in list to the left
of your screen).   You will see that population health is more or less
synonymous with the determinants of health.   For example, the following
documents can be found within Health Promotion Development.

1)  "Population Health-Putting Concepts Into Action": This report is
intended to facilitate the
 translation of the population health concept into action.

2) "Population Health Promotion: An Integrated Model of Population Health
and Health Promotion":
 ...With the increased interest in population health across the country,
many are asking how
population health and health promotion are related. Health promotion is
commonly defined as a
process for enabling people  to take control over and improve their health.
 Population health is
an approach that addresses the entire range of factors that determine
health and, by so doing,
affects the health of the entire population.

3) "Report of the Roundtable on Population Health and Health Promotion...":
 This report presents
 the substance of the Roundtable dialogue, summarizing the key elements of
discussions, noting
 areas of agreement and disagreement, and highlighting recommendations for
follow-up developed
 by the participants. Quotes are included as much as possible to give a
sense of the energy and
 commitment expressed by the participants throughout the meeting.

4) There is also "Strategies for Population Health -- Investing in the
Health of Canadians" prepared
by the Federal, Provincial, and Territorial Advisory Committee on
Population Health for the
Meeting of the Ministers of Health, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Sept. 14-15/94.
This should be available
from Publications, Health Canada, Communications Directorate, Ottawa, ON
K1A 0K9.

Hope this helps.  In the near future, I would anticipate that more federal
documents on population
health and the determinants of health will be coming forward.

lcarol @ REGION.WATERLOO.ON.CA on 99/02/08 11:46:26 AM

Please respond to [log in to unmask]