From:
Sherlei Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 1996 06:55:34 -0700
At 09:28 AM 5/9/96 +0000, you wrote:
>One of the most difficult problems I have in using listservs like
>this are not knowing my audience, being uncertain of the norms
>governing interaction, and as a consequence of the foregoing being
>afraid of making a fool of myself.  Oh yes, there is also the fear of
>revealling my spelling and grammer difficulties.  I also fear being
>misunderstood, that someone will be offended by something I write
>because of the way in which they interpret the words.
>
>Do others share these concerns?  If so do you have any ideas as to
>how we can deal with them, short of therapy?  I know that the next
>thing I will do is to request the list of people who have subscribed
>by sending the command "REVIEW" to the [log in to unmask] (correct
>procedure?).  At least this will give me an idea of who is out there.
__________________________________________________-
Hello Mike,

One of the ways that other groups get to "know their audience"
is by asking for a bio (some require to stay on the list).  Each person
gives a bit of information on background, interests, work, etc.
The bio's are kept and may be retreived by anyone on the
list at any time.  This could be done here on a volunteer basis.

As for spelling, isn't it amazing how we have come to rely on
the spell checker?  :-)  I will be glad when Eudora comes up
with one.  My problem is that I type faster than I must be able
to think and sometimes just do not "catch" how it came out.

Being misunderstood is quite common on groups as 1)
we do not know each other 2) we have no facial expressions
to assist us with determining just how something was meant.

A way to help avoid this is to try and interject (smiles),
(chuckles) or whatever your personality would want to
portray.  It is inevetable that someone will be offended
at some point.  Try not to take it personal.  If you have
been professional (and polite) then don't worry about it.

Have a great day!

Sherlei
             LOTS OF NEW INFO!         updated 5/5/96
><>        (Our Healthy Christian Living Web Page)      <><
             http://www.wolfenet.com/~jacksonj
           (A Natural Way to Health Web Page)
             http://www.wolfenet.com/~jacksonj/anwh.html
Have you thought of where you're going when this earthly life is past?
Will the seed that you are sowing bring a harvest that will last?
                                         - Jacobsen
Disclaimer:  Any health related information is for educational purposes
only.  None of the information is to be construed as medical advice.
Before applying any therapy or use of herbs, you may want to seek
advice from your health care professional. This information should not
be interpreted as a SUBSTITUTE for physician evaluation or treatment
by a health care professional, and is not intended to provide or confirm
a diagnosis.