From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 1996 17:13:44 -0400
In reponse to my posting about how to use CLICK4HP as a workspace for Health
Promotion I made reference to a recent posting and how this virtual
workspace can be best used. The author of the posting took minor exception
to my use of their posting and sent private mail, which is the proper way to
handle such queries, and I posted a private mail response. 2 and 1/2 hours
after the query to me, the same query was posted to CLICK4HP.

Since part of the dating on postings come from the clock of the sender's
machine, and the sender's CPU time seems to be a couple of days out of
alignment, I cannot say if there was time to consider my response before
posting the query to CLICK4HP. Since it has been posted to CLICK4HP I will
try to clip the parts of my private response that are of interest to the
general use of this space for health promotion.

First, of course, the query about the specific posting was not directed at
the individual, it is just that actual public events (postings) make better
evidence to illustrate lessons than do made up examples. We all face that
little bit of roasting once in a while. It is of little consequence. Second,
my posting on "Zone Play" was about best practices, not an opinion on the
relevance of the link between health and education - which I agree is
extremely important. It certainly does not reflect some ideological bias
(against education and health???)

Here is what is useful for on-line health promotion, clipped from my private
response.

------clip--- < text omitted > -----

CLICK4HP has a readership wider than Ontario and I think it is our
obligation to put things in context for them. I had hopes, when I helped
found the Toronto FreeNet, that we would get much more activity there at
this [local Toronto] level. There, and on the WEB.APC lists on funding cuts
in Ontario, are where I would urge wider dialogue on such topics.

If we people interested in discussing the education/health issue in Ontario
[did so] on the Toronto FreeNet (and there is nothing to prevent that except
the absence of volunteer labour) we would be reaching about 60,000
subscribers, most of whom are in Southern Ontario, in contrast to 300+
people signed on to a list dedicated to exploring how the on-line workspace
can be used for health promotion.

For example, with all the people responsible for the Report, I would think
it a good idea to invite each of them to write 200-400 words on their
analysis of the link between health and education. We could then set up a
"seminar" either on or off CLICK4HP. Each [in turn] could post on a Friday,
we could think and discuss for a week, someone else would write up a summary
of the discussion. We would take the Report to new heights, inform a larger
public, and advance both public understanding for both education and health
promotion.

I am told that such reports as your[s] in Ontario get read by a couple of
hundred people at maximum. We do similar reports at Health Studies here and
even with TV and newspaper coverage at release, a couple hundred copies sold
is a banner report.

Getting to more people with targeted electronic discussion is more effective.
This is how I would "work" the workspace. We would be doing health promotion
and demonstrating how to use the space at one and the same time.

.....disagreements about approach do not always reduce to differences in
ideology about the point at issue - unless one buys a version of the
post-modern where "point at issue" is a nonsequitur.

- clip---< text omitted > --

 The purpose is to defend this common space as an important venue for social
process, defend it against ideological attack from outside and build it
strong from within. We can agree on the path without having to agree on
where each foot print should be placed.
-------- end of clip ---

clips from private mail - Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]> ----------