From:
Yin Wenjuan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2001 21:16:19 -0700
As somking is a major risk factor of coronary heart
disease, more attention is focused on smoking
cessation around the world.

As all of you mentioned before it is conclicting in
Japan, Japanese have a high smoking population and
have a relatively stressed living environment, but the
mortality from coronary heart disease is lower among
developed countries.

We need to consider the incidence and mortality in
this issue, and have a look at other factors related
to CAD.

In Australia, smoking in public place is not allowed.
If smokers want to stop smoking, counselling is
availaible for them to get some information. And some
national smoking cessation campaigns have spread into
the each corner of society.

In China, cigarette is easily accessed from any shop.
Dealers don't need to have a licence to sell
cigarette, even a child can buy it for himself or for
his father. It sounds unbelivable, but we have a big
population on smoking. We need a good legislation to
regulate and survelliance of population.

I am thinking more about the relationship between the
cigarette smoking and coronary heart disease, and I
want to exchage more ideas with all of you who are
interested in this area.

Regards,
Wenjuan Yin