From:
"d.raphael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 1996 14:13:58 -0400
On Sun, 19 May 1996 02:42:41 -0400 Geoff Rowlands wrote:

> Do you really think the Toronto Council will be impressed with letters from
> individuals in other cities about this issue?
>
> It's really hard for residents of other cities to visualize your problem -
> although I recall similar concerns from European cities.
>
> Perhaps a more local community BBS or listserve might be more appropriate
> and effective for such pet issues.

Dennis Raphael responded:

Thank you for your note.  Yes indeed Council would be impressed.  This is why.
First, it is now accepted that policy change is more likely to occur when
political will is combined with the availability of supportive evidence.  City
Council is obviously in a receptive mode to the proposal to restrict front-yard
parking; having support, wherever it is from, will bolster this will.  This
will especially be the case, since the just published issue of National Geographic
did a story on how Toronto has much green space in its downtown
neighbourhhoods.

Secondly, Toronto is a honorary member of the  W.H.O. European Healthy Cities
Network.  All members of Council are aware of this; receiving letters from "other
places" will again help highlight the importance of supporting laws that support
healthy cities/healthy communities. In this case preserving green space and
restricting the influence of automobiles.

In regards to your other point of having difficulty visualizing the situation.  Think of
a city street with houses and front lawns.  Now think of cars being parked on these
front lawns.  That's all there is to it!

Perhaps, our next crusade should be for all cities and communities to have bicycle
paths; the way it is in the Netherlands.  I'm ready to send e-mails to anybody,
anywhere, that needs help!!

Thank you for your note and for the opportunity to provide these thoughts.

The mayors address is:

Mayor Barbara Hall
City of Toronto

fax:    416-392-0026