From:
Mukherjee Snigdha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:47:31 -0700
We are shortly going to fund a "buddy system" program
for chronically mentally ill patients (This is one
component of a program that includes a new patient
orientation program and an educational medication
management lead by an RN). The goal is to increase
adherence. The buddy will remind/track the patient to
keep appointments and to obtain medication refills
from the pharmacy. The volunteer buddies activities
will be coordinated by a nurse-coordinator. The group
implementing the program are practitioners and have
little experience of research. The program will also
be evaluated.

What I am seeking are (a) review articles and
evaluation literature on peer support for mentally ill
population; (b) published and unpublished literature
on lessons learnt from similar programs - issues such
as buddy burn-out or burden especially in this special
population; (c) protocols and manuals that are
publicly available (I am also waiting to hear
from someone at NAMI that I contacted - to get
information on any peer support programs that they
have supported or endorsed).

Thank you -

Snigdha

Snigdha Mukherjee, PhD