From:
Susan MacMillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 1996 07:55:07 -0600
This is very important point that the popular media has overlooked in their
desire to be more controversial with reports of X-rated materials.
Anecdotal information is available about individuals (I know of one
personally) who have sent out information about their symptoms and have
received many thoughts about what the diagnosis may be.  One such diagnosis
matched that which came with test results and he received it prior to the
test results.  This is certainly not a replacement for tests and analysis
but, as the attached message indicates, makes knowledge more available thus
allows patients to have greater use of the language and information that was
previously unavailable.

Susan MacMillan

>One of the changes resulting from the electronic venue is the shift in
>emphasis from (a) distributing information to (b) making it accessible.
>Costs are lower, it is easier to keep the information up-to-date (check out
>the publication dates of books at nursing stations in hospitals!), and it
>can serve as the basis for a 'knowledgable client'.
>
>Here is an example at the medical end, dealing with Cancer. Similar examples
>can be found at the health promotion, illness prevention end of the spectrum.
>
>     NOTICE: CANCERNET INFORMATION AVAILABLE ON-LINE
>               - * - * - * - * - * - * -
>The full US National Cancer Institute CancerNet database is
>available on the York University Web Site, and by FTP from
>York University. Instructions are below.
>
>It contains approximately 10Meg of:
>     PDQ Treatment Summaries for Health Professionals;
>     PDQ Treatment Summaries for Patients,;
>     PDQ Supportive Care Summaries;
>     PDQ Cancer Screening/Prevention Summaries;
>     PDQ Drug Information Summaries; News Bulletins, Press
>          Releases, and Fact Sheets;
>     Publication Information; and
>     CANCERLIT Citations and Abstracts.
>
>PDQ information is reviewed regularly by members of the NCI
>PDQ Editorial Boards, and many summaries change from one month
>to the next. Use the following instructions to access the site
>from your Web Browser or directly by anonymous FTP. The files
>can also be made available in Spanish.
>------                                        --------------
>Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]> local CancerNet SiteManager
>INSTRUCTIONS:
>
>At the http://www.yorku.ca/ web site <hot_link> from INTERNET
>to FTP, to the YORKU ftp Archive site, to YORK_OTHER, to
>Distributed_Learning_Project, on to CANCERNET. Read 00INTRO
>and download the 00README file.
>
>To do so in your Web browser, Open the file and use the "Save
>as.." file option. The Cancernet file names are 6 numbers and
>can be read and downloaded in the same manner.
>
>For FTP ftp to ftp://yorku.ca/pub/yorku_other/ then change
>directory to Distributed_Learning_Project/CANCERNET and use
>the get command to download files.
>
>The Distributed Knowledge Project <[log in to unmask]> would be
>interested in your feedback on the availability of the files.
-----

---
Susan MacMillan            e-mail: [log in to unmask]
The University of Lethbridge