From:
Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 00:04:34 -0400
Greetings,
Great to see interest in the idea of a somewhat structured discussion - and
so midway through round one I thought I would point out we have focused
almost entirely on the  the virtual workspace. Now one might argue that for
health promotion, the community is the workspace, but it is not in this
context that I am reading the postings so far.

Having the opportunity to facilitate both a community focused space and a
private workspace, I think there are some key differences. Creating virtual
communities have traditionally been lead by the folks who have brought us
community networks/freenets. Communities have formed online around just
about any area of common bond you might want to dream up.

As I have moved from one space to another - community or work - I find there
is a discernable culture at play within the space that is distinctive. That
is the space has been defined, it becomes known for something
(respectful...or not, open/closed, safe, etc.) Much of what we sense online
is similar to what we sense as human beings in the literal space. In fact I
often use this as a guide, but modified to account for new capacities within
the technology.

Sam Lanfranco wrote in describing the use of the virtual workspace...
> We are committed to using this virtual workspace as a vehicle
>for increased transparancy and accountability for funding and to increase
>the chances of collaboration. The same could be done within health promotion
>funding....As I say, ask yourself how this would work in the funding
activities you are
>familiar with. It is hard to believe that the answer is: "No Change".

This is an interesting challenge to us...I am aware, as a member of a
community group, of the tightening competition for funding. Knowing the
process was open and transparent would mean I could find out who is out
there working in areas of interest to me and the communities in which I
work...knowing we would publically share the outcomes and successes(or
failures!) feels new, perhaps a bit intimidating, but less vulnerable to
assumption or false perception.

Is there really truth?

Craig Silva Wrote:
>HOWEVER, people ARE using it in ever increasing numbers because
>it IS human communication.
>Therefore what we really need to be doing is to focus on better ways
>of using it and and better ways of transferring the experience gained
>by early-adopters to ease the way for newcomers.

As the venue grows and adapts(or is adapted) by people - in the electronic
workspace and in virtual communities...sharing our learning both about how
to maximize our use of the space and how to transfer the lessons learned
will become increasingly important...there are many good examples of how
people are doing this available...remembering to include this as a step in
the process means changing the way we work...or maybe not...no research
paper is written up without a description of the methodology (from which we
all learn).

Liz Rykert <[log in to unmask]>
(as a courtesy please sign all postings by name and email - thanks)