From:
WISE - Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 2008 19:58:47 -0800
There's no easy way to say this, so here goes...

WISE is shutting down permanently. Its virtual existence - the WISE
website and associated email accounts, which were the residual of
WISE that we'd been holding onto - will cease effective April 1st.

In our media release of December 10th, we'd indicated that we might
still survive, if x, y, and z all came into play. They didn't.

A few days ago, we received the annual renewal notice for our website
hosting. That prompted a fresh evaluation of where we are and where
we're going. In speaking among the core organizers of WISE today, we
realized we no longer have the heart to carry on. Anything that might
happen now, when we're at the verge of folding, would be too little,
too late.

My associate, Daphne Moldowin, and I are exhausted. WISE work has
been so incredibly draining that words fail to describe its depth.
The need among women in poverty is so great and our own poverty
hasn't helped.

As WISE's Founder, I am sad; but I'm also relieved.

Perhaps it's time for the women who have done so much for WISE to
start caring for themselves. After all, we've been carrying more than
our own weight for several years.

As for me, I'd like to branch out into fields that being Coordinator
of WISE have prevented me from doing, including becoming politically
active.

Chrystal Ocean, Coordinator.
Wellbeing thru Inclusion Socially & Economically
http://www.wise-bc.org/