From:
Joan Feather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 1996 15:27:15 -0600
and its etiquette, it seems to me it would be helpful if we observe the
most obvious guidelines, related to the fact that we are engaged in a
WRITTEN conversation.  Certain rules apply because they assist
communication.  For example, use complete sentences;  observe basic rules
of punctuation and grammar (remember, their purpose is to aid
comprehension); and avoid jargon.  With respect to the latter, it seems
that the special jargon of the internet is growing rapidly, and many can
be left behind (or "out") by core users resorting to a highly
colloquial/technical language.

If that sounded like my "gripe for the day," it probably was!

By way of introduction, I'm a sociologist co-ordinating a health promotion
research centre at the University of Saskatchewan, working with a network
ofresearchers, practitioners and policy makers in Manitoba and
Saskatchewan (and further afield).  We hope to have a home page up and
running in the next few months;  stay tuned!  Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the
exchange as people sign onto this system.

Joan Feather
Prairie Region Health Promotion Research Centre
University of Saskatchewan
Health Science Building
107 Wiggins Road
Saskatoon SK  Canada
S7N 5E5
Phone (306) 966-7932  FAX (306) 966-7920