From:
Craig Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:24:27 +1000

> >>From: [log in to unmask] (joanne king)
> >>Subject: Re: E. Workspace - J. Quail's June 18th Posting
> >>
> >>I have been following the discussions here for some time and tried
> >>several weeks ago to post some thoughts in response to Judy
> >>Quail's posting about the electronic workplace (June 18th). My
> >>posting was unsuccessful (as I have just learned - long story
> >>which illustrates some of the glitches that can discourage
> >>novices) and so I will try again today.

I'm glad you kept trying!

> >>County (Eastern Ontario - Canada). Access to the Internet is part
> >>of the services we offer to our community - anyone can come in and
> >>use our computer (mostly by appointment for logistical reasons and
> >>privileges will be revoked if found to be accessing illegal
> >>material).  We also do info searches for anyone who prefers not to
> >>search themselves (as part of our information and referral
> >>services).

I like this idea - good use of resources and it also means that some
health professionals are available to filter/validate the information
found on the net.

> >>some discussion about health information centres. For myself, I
> >>feel that existing Community Resource Centres or Information
> >>Centres (where they exist) or libraries (where they offer access
> >>to the electronic venue) are ideal spots for such community/public
> >>service (where folks do not have access otherwise) as opposed to
> >>creating new centres.

Makes a lot of sense - having someone available with experience of
the subject area or a general information professional would go some
way towards addressing the problem of authenticating/validating info
on the net.

Craig
Craig Silva, Electronic Outreach Program Officer
Victorian Health Promotion Foundation, Melbourne Australia
e-mail: [log in to unmask], Tel: 61 3 9345 3211