From:
Craig Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 1996 11:49:45 +1000
> From:          "Deborah St. Arnaud" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:       Re: Virtual space

> Thank you for your thoughts.  I am a "tentative participant", my
> first and only
> listserv and had felt quite guilty to "lurk" and to "delete".  It is
> enlightening to learn the protocol.

My pleasure.

> I am interested in your occupation.  What does electronic outreach
> program officer entail?

I'm working it out as I go along. It is however directed to the
online world. My tasks to date have been to put up some web pages and
to make recommendations as to what hardware/software VicHealth should
put in place to provide the infrastructure for an "electronic
outreach program".

>  I am exploring alternatives, other than
> print materials, to provide health educational resources on a
> provincial basis.  Are you a Webmaster or are you involved in a
> distance education program?

I am a webmaster (although I do prefer the term webperson :->  )

I'm not as yet engaged in any distance education schemes but maintain
a healthy interest in using the net for education. My organisation is
taking this track because of the potential that online communications
offers for education - what we call "strategic knowledge transfer".

A key question is of course: who is online?

If 100% of your target audience is not online, how do you justify
putting resources into the online material?

This will remain a problem for some time to come :-<

On the other hand, resources online are dynamic. They can be updated
rapidly and then the changed material is available immediately - no
printing or distribution hassles and you can even ask for
feedback/responses to the online material.

I think the potential is exciting

Regards

Craig
Craig Silva, Electronic Outreach Program Officer
Victorian Health Promotion Foundation, Melbourne Australia
e-mail: [log in to unmask], Tel: 61 3 9345 3211