From:
Sam Lanfranco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 1996 01:57:50 -0400
At the moment the noise-to-signal ratio in CLICK4HP is too high. We are
recieving too much traffic with regard to UNSUBSCRIBE and SIGNOFF and have
begun to identify the problem. In response to two recent requests to
signoff the list note the following responses from our system (and which I
have verified by examining the subscriber list).

From: "L-Soft list server at York University (1.8b)" <[log in to unmask]>
> delete click4hp [log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask] is not subscribed to the CLICK4HP list.

From: "L-Soft list server at York University (1.8b)" <[log in to unmask]>
> delete click4hp [log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask] is not subscribed to the CLICK4HP
list.

In both cases the person is not subscribed under this or any other userid.
This means that they are probably subscribed to a re-distribution list (or
a burster service) run by someone who is on the CLICK4HP list. We cannot
do much from here. I might be able to do the detective work of finding out
who might have put your on their re-distribution list. To do that I (me
not the CLICK4HP list) need a true copy of email you get from  CLICK4HP.
Note that I say a 'true copy'. If you just forward a posting to me, your
own software may remove the valuable header information we need to find
out where your CLICK4HP posting is coming from.

Burster and re-distribution lists are good ideas for single sites with
many subscribers. They can be problem-laden when they redistribute widely.
In any case, direct problems to me <[log in to unmask]> and not the list. We
want to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.

Sam Lanfranco